Friday, December 3, 2010

a bit more time with her...in order to say good-bye

On Wednesday I took our dog, Cali, to the Vet. She hadn't been eating much at all over the last week. She's old. 13 1/2. I thought maybe she was having teeth/gum issues. Unfortunately, not...

It's cancer. And, she doesn't have much time. The doctor found a very large tumor on the back of her tongue, which is why she was having difficulty eating/swallowing. She was prescribed an antibiotic, pain medication and an anti-inflammatory. The prescriptions are to give us a bit more time with her...in order to say good-bye.


She's been an outdoor dog since the children were born. Now she's set up in the playroom at night. She's getting lots of love and attention. The medicine makes her drowsy.

It was hard to tell the children. BOY was especially upset. Now that a couple of days have passed, and she doesn't look any different, they have the illusion that she is OK. And, really... we are all clinging to that illusion. For as long as we can. I don't know how much longer she will be with us.

All I know is that the staccato of my fingers hitting the key board mirrors the echoing thud in my heart...


submit to reddit

11 comments:

  1. They are our practice babies and they take little bits of our hearts with them.

    Much love, my friend. It's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so sorry. It's so hard to say goodbye to a beloved dog, especially when they've been through so much with you. Wishing positive thoughts for the children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day at a time once we get news like this. I'm so sorry. I hope the end goes smoothly and I'm so glad that you have time to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww. So sorry to hear this. Love her up. Hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had to go through this same thing a few times. It never gets easier! I'm sorry that you all have to go through this. What a sweet looking doggy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so sorry. She looks like a dear. Love her, and you will know when it's time. We've said goodbye to two in the last several years and its never easy.

    So sorry it upsets BOY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about Cali. I have been "lurking" around your blog for awhile and felt I had to let you know how much I sympathize with you and your family about saying good bye to a loved family pet. We lost our own family dog last week. I wrote about it here on my blog.

    http://lifewellblended.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/mischief-in-my-life/

    http://lifewellblended.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/mischief-remembered/


    Peace to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry. It is hard to say goodbye. Hugs to all of you and kisses to the dear puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, I'm so sorry...I hope everyone had some time to say goodbye to dear Cali. Never easy...

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.