Sunday, December 4, 2011

Then I'll huff & I'll puff & I'll blow your house down...


The last few days have been high on weather DRAMA. Last Wednesday due to the gale force winds in our area, we lost all power until yesterday. It was an "adventure" for the first 24 hours, but by Friday we were tired of darkness and had started to toss out food. We were very lucky compared to many neighbors.




We had a window blow out in our sun porch/play room, and lots of branches and debris over both back and front yards. Many of our friends are still without power, and ...another wind advisory is in effect for tonight. It's been a good practice run for disaster preparedness.


Grateful for:

1) The old 1945 forced air gas furnace keeping us warm
2) The LED powered camping lantern
3) Old fashioned plug-in phone (land line)- no cell phone reception for 48 hours
3) A stove top with gas burners
4) Children who have learned how to play several card games
5) Kids Reading books by headlamps
6) Whiskey stocked
7) Coolers to ice down perishables
8) Emergency radio
9) Brother-n-law & Sister-n-law who let me work out of their home on Friday
10) Gas water heater - nothing like a hot shower to make you believe you can take on the day



*********************************
Note: these are all homes in our neighborhood.


submit to reddit

5 comments:

  1. We escaped it completely, but couldn't believe what we saw on the news.

    A hot shower cures most of the world's ills!

    I hope round 2 spares you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you and family are safe and sound. The trees will.grow back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it wasn't worse for you. I am really not prepared for emergencies. I remember losing power when Dylan was just a baby... trying to get a bottle ready for a screaming baby in complete darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That looks like a real mess.

    We, too escaped it entirely, which surprised me.

    Glad you got your power back after a relatively short time. Hope the kids had an adventure!

    I'm always surprised by what we take for granted - the cordless telephone that needs power, the garage door opener.....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I think I saw your n'hood on the news. Wish I had known so I could have yelled, "I know someone from there!!!" And yes, gas hot water heaters are the best. I can live without heat but taking a cold shower? No thanks.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.