Tuesday, May 28, 2013

There is great beauty in simple things

I love tucking my daughter in at night. There is an intimacy in the dark that invites secrets. Tonight she asked me about Reiki - an overheard conversation that she was curious about. We talked about energy work, and I explained how all of us have energy within us that can be felt. I took her hands and spaced them a few inches from mine –palm to palm. I asked if she could feel the heat and tingling. She felt a warmth, but no tingling. She was disappointed that it wasn’t more tangible. 

I adore her. There are times when my heart literally feels like it will burst – so great is the love that pours out of me. We talk of so many things. And, her questions are always well thought out – her natural curiosity, and hunger for knowledge, a gift I don’t take lightly. She is my amazing little girl who will soon be leaving 2nd grade behind.

 She is an old soul, my girl, and I am incredibly blessed with this daughter I call my own. This daughter, who is her own person, her spirit full and strong and fierce.
There is great beauty in simple things. Spending this time with my daughter is one of them.
 
She still sleeps with her cozy blanket. It must be tucked up under her chin, just so, flatly laid across the sheet – or, she cannot go to sleep. I imagine someday that this same blanket will be folded neatly at the end of the bed, or put away in the closet, and my fingers will reach out...touching the soft fabric, and I will remember how we used to whisper in the dark...


submit to reddit

4 comments:

  1. When my eldest was little, our goodnight ritual called for me to say, "Goodnight, I love you, I'll see you in the morning." If I left out one step, I had to start over and get it right before the light could go out. She's almost 21 now but she left the legacy behind and my youngest (just turned 10 today) requires the same series of phrases. "Goodnight, I love you, I'll see you in the morning." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet, and I know she will love reading this years from now, remembering those special moments with her mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks adorable :)

    www.vindiebaby.com
    Vintage Inspired Girls

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.