Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reflections on New Year's Eve 2011

Midnight is closing in, as I sit here in the quiet- all of my loved ones asleep. My house is full of the scents of our Southern New Year - collards, bacon, corn bread... Though we are Californians now, the tradition remains to pass along. I am replete with both anticipation for our annual open house tomorrow and thoughts on riding out the year of 2011.

It seems a good time to reflect on all that has changed this year. I wrote less, but branched out more. I do miss the days of early blogging, when I rushed to the keyboard, adrenaline pumping... Those days are gone, but my passion for writing is still here. The fire is banked, the coals needing a bit of a fresh breeze to stir them. I'm hopeful that 2012 will bring more frequency of words upon the page.

I am conscious of the many blessings in my life - my husband and children, our health, and being gainfully employed.

There have been many changes this year for my family. In the fall I started working full-time, which has brought many good things. I am happy to be earning a real pay check again, and to be a financial partner to my husband. The shift hasn't been easy- it never is. We struggle to find our way, like all couples do, when the family work needs two shoulders leaning into it - to get it done.

It's been a long time since I've made any kind of New Year's Resolutions. This year I find myself wanting those intentions - to be kinder to my husband, to have more patience with my children, to schedule writing and exercise time for myself. My whole being is starved for regular movement, and for eating well. My children are young, and I am not. I want to be here for them, for a long time... It's time to place the health of myself at the top of the list.

I want more face time with my friends. Real time. Dinner parties and meeting for tea, and taking hikes under both blue skies and days that threaten rain.

It was a simple Christmas this year, and I loved it. I envision more of the same with the freedom of less stuff.

This night I dream of new challenges ahead, and good times, better times for all. I am conscious of how much I have and how so many are going without.

Happy 2012! May all of our dreams and resolutions shine through the New Year...and help fuel a world with more love and intention for all.


submit to reddit

7 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!

    I love your resolutions--the best we can do is work towards doing those things as often as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your desires are fundamental to your happiness and that of your family. You've got your head on straight.

    I'm glad you're still writing event though your life has shifted quite a bit.

    Have a wonderful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our resolutions are very similar. I am becoming more and more conscious of the fact that I need to take better care of myself. Oh, and I am craving face time something terrible! I hope 2012 is a fantastic year for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! Best wishes with all your transitions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, have a wonderful 2012, JCK! I realized something was missing in my New Years when I didn't have any black-eyed peas to eat! Your food looks delicious and warming and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely, lovely post, Ms. JCK! Your stove-top of wonderful food looks amazing. I hope your open house went well today.

    Happy 2012 to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year JCK. I loved your post and your intentions. It was very soothing to read and reminds me of my own desires for the new year. Face time is definitely one of them, as is taking care of myself. I hope that in 2012 you create the time and space to take care of your health, enjoy the company of friends and family and write more inspiriing words.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.