Sunday, April 12, 2009

How can this be?

At church this morning, I dropped BOY & GIRL off at the entrance with stern instructions to hold each others' hands and go straight to their childcare room. I waited as they clutched fingers and walked down the steps, a vision of white taffeta and green and navy blue. They turned the corner, and both looked back. Smiling at me. I could barely make it into the car to drive to the parking garage.

How can this be?
I remember so vividly carrying them both into the baby room. Diaper bag full. A change of clothes. Snacks. And now...they can walk there by themselves. Not only that, but they are ready for it... this letting out of the reins. And so, must I be. Inch by inch...hand over hand it goes.

The Easter Bunny has arrived and departed. There are two very tired children abed and asleep! It feels decadent to have my children asleep before 8pm. I should be whooping it up. Except that my belly is also full of jelly beans, chocolate and a delicious mix of margaritas after a glorious sun filled Southern California day spent with friends. So, I'm into being languid...and living with lush curves. For tonight.

I am content. And I hope you are, too.

Happy Easter, everyone!


submit to reddit

12 comments:

  1. Happy Easter! Glad you had a lovely day.

    And yes, I know what you mean about those moments when time suddenly seems to have shifted. I get that sometimes. I remember when my son first went off for the day on a trip with swimming club by himself (well, with the group obviously) - I cried in the car on the way home cos he just gave me a quick wave and was off and didn't need me at all! But it was a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "they grow so fast" is trite but true for a reason. Happy Easter, J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are listed on the blog list of Angie at Keep Believing. You know that she lost her husband to cancer on March 17. Angie and Brian would have celebrated their 12th wedding anniversary on April 19. I am hoping that I can get everyone in her blog list to post on their blogs at 12:00 am on April 19 a post with the title “Keep Believing” so that when she opens her blog, her blog list is filled with recent posts all titled “Keep Believing”. I don’t know how else to arrange this other than commenting on blogs, so forgive my off-topic comment. I would ask that you keep the post up for 24 hours in case she doesn’t look right away, and you don’t have to publish anything with it, just the title will do. I am using the scheduled post feature provided by blogger so I don’t forget. Thanks so much. Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "They grow up so fast!" is a cliche for a reason - it's just so true.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Easter to you and yours.

    Our own hectic but love-filled day wound down early, too. It was an unexpected surprise... as was my peek at the calendar to find out that my children have today off!

    So, they are home with me for one more luxurious day before we head back into the daily grind of school.

    I'm off to just enjoy them.

    - Julia at Midwest Moms

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a perfect day--good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does seem that one is able to loosen the reins just when it needs to be done, even though even the thought of it will seem impossible even one second before they and you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait until they drive off to school on their own. Childhood does seem to be a whirlwind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it sounds like a lovely easter j. happy easter and happy spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh girl, I just had this same feeling today, this morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you enjoyed your day! Time does fly, but we are capturing it by blogging, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And the feeling just gathers more speed with time. "living with lush curves" ... I love that.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.