Monday, February 16, 2009

EXHALE...an online literary magazine for women dealing with infertility, miscarriage, and infant death

Several years ago, when I was struggling with infertility, I felt incredibly alone. I didn't know anyone else who was having any difficulty getting pregnant. In fact, everywhere I turned it seemed that another friend or family member was pregnant...AGAIN. I dreaded invitations to baby showers, and felt guilty that my happiness for them was clouded by my unhappiness for myself. It was complicated...and even my husband, E, who is a very sensitive man, could not truly understand all of the assorted emotions that I was going through. Let alone the emotions brought out by the fertility drugs.

Last week I was contacted by the editor of a new online magazine called Exhale.

Exhale is a unique new literary magazine written for & by ordinary people who have faced extraordinary obstacles to getting/staying knocked up, or who have experienced miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant death. Exhale is published solely online.

Exhale is a space for creative expression. We seek out the gritty humor and complexities of discovering that producing a child isn't as easy as your mother told you. Without succumbing to the belief that a person's self-worth and happiness are defined reproductive achievement, we recognize and validate the vast array of perspectives and emotions associated with pregnancy/infant loss and infertility issues.


The Editor, Monica M. LeMoine, had come across my artwork during an online search, and discovered a blog post in which I talked about how the act of painting had helped me during a very painful period of infertility. She asked to use one of my paintings for the cover of her magazine. I went online to Exhale's site and couldn't stop reading. It is a very impressive magazine, with top notch writers, and professionally laid out.

Then, there was a quick email exchange in which I said...Thank you very much, I'd love to be a part of this, but... are you sure you want to use one of MY paintings?! She did. And, so I am very honored to be a part of the current issue. Once you visit, you will be drawn in. It is an invaluable resource for women struggling with infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth, and infant death. If you know anyone on this difficult, lonely journey, please send them to Exhale. You will be glad that you did.


To see more of my paintings, please go here.


submit to reddit

21 comments:

  1. JCK, that is WONDERFUL! And well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, this DEFINITELY counts toward your new years resolution!

    They're seeking you out now. How wonderful and to such a worthy source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really is great. What a great way to give back to those who supported you earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! Right now you are the coolest person that I don't really even know! I just did a happy dance for you - this is getting all over your New Year's resolution. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME! You deserve this recognition (and more)! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - they are incredibly powerful images.

    If you haven't painted for ages...I wonder if it's because your life is so fulfilled now?

    Well done with exhale - I think your painting were a perfect choice.
    H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll go look, but I wanted to say congrats first. This seems like a perfect place for you--your paintings and stories are so powerful when you write about infertility.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I am so proud and excited for you! What strong, striking paintings - they are perfect! Who knows what will happen next?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I said it before, but I'll say it here - I'm not surprised at all - your painting is the perfect choice for Exhale. Well done, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news JCK!
    You are a woman of many talents.
    Best to you always....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it wonderful to have your work recognized? I am so pleased for you.

    Enjoy it. And thanks for letting me know about Exhale.

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats.
    How awesome is that.
    I cannot imagine the journey that infertility is, but I am so glad there is a community for women to share their experiences together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats! and wow -somehow I missed that post with your paintings, they are GREAT

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome is this? Quite!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is wonderful. I wish I had known about this magazine or others like it when we were dealing with our own infertility. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. JCK, this is an incredible honor and as soon as I finish here I'm going to go look at your artwork.

    I hope that the editor will also ask you to do some writing for her magazine since you would bring much talent and compassion to a difficult topic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is wonderful! I have a friend who needs Exhale right now....

    ReplyDelete
  18. THAT is so amazing. And you know my thoughts and experiences on this same topic, so from my heart, I say - KUDOS to you - the journey is so dark.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so exciting, I'm off to check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that is so fab re your painting (and that there is now this magazine for people). if you sit now and take yourself back to the point at which you painted that picture it is rather magical to think how much has changed - your two lovely children, this massive community you are part of and now your own painting, which you painted at a time of sadness, loneliness and frustration on the cover of the magazine. Sort of happy sad somehow I think.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What excellent news! Congrats, JCK. I love your art and am thrilled others are discovering it too.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.