Wednesday, November 14, 2007

NaBloPoMo - Day 14- officially entering the melee

May 2003
I've been a member of the infertility organization RESOLVE for a few years now. I am a hot line volunteer a couple of days a week. My job is to call back the people, mostly women, who have left a message on the voicemail and need various kinds of information. It is something that makes me feel good - to help other women going through difficult times trying to have a family. Back in September, I decided that I wanted to create an adoption support group for couples, since there wasn't one in our area. So one Saturday a month, E and I host an adoption group for couples in our home. We have 4 couples who come regularly -as well as some other people who float in and out. Not everyone feels comfortable discussing their feelings in a group, but for others, including myself, it is a lifesaver. All of us are waiting. We are all pursuing adoption via different avenues. Two of us with agencies and two with attorneys. All of us waiting. That is the true common thread that holds us together. One couple has been waiting over 3 years. He jokes whenever someone new has come to the group and says, "If you are here for anger and bitterness, we are the perfect example." He says it in a joking manner, and it is actually very funny - but, pain is behind it. E and I have officially just entered the melee. And a melee it can be...

And so the official wait has begun... Our birthmother letter is done! Yeah! So, it will be mailed out to all potential birthmothers and then next month it will be on the agency's web site. Currently there are about 250 other waiting families - just with our agency. I'm trying not to focus on that. I have to believe that our birthmother will find us and that it will all make sense in the end.

To be continued...


submit to reddit

3 comments:

  1. Oh my. I just love this series. I did not know you worked the hotline for RESOLVE. Now you've got me intrigued (like how did you get signed up for that).

    I officially give you the COOLEST BLOGGER EVER award. WOW JCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so cool of you to start a support group. I'm a big believer in the power of the group...strength in numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story! I'm so your biggest fan! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.