Friday, November 16, 2007

NaBloPoMo - Day 16- These are a few of my favorite things

The Oh so Clever Mrs. G from Derfwad Manor. Yes, Derfwad. You must know that there is no one better at the intellectual riposte and she will make you laugh OUT LOUD. Well, she has challenged her fans, of them there are many, to post our favorite things. So, I rise to the challenge, Mrs. G. Also, please check out her post today to get all her lovey links to other extremely creative talents in the blogosphere. Aaah...yes, we all aspire to be as witty as you, my Mrs. G. Sshhh...Mrs. G has an especially soft spot in my heart because she is from my generation. THE GENERATION I might add...you know growing up with fluffernutter sandwiches, moon pies, slinkys, pogo sticks, Easy Bake ovens and later...Farrah Fawcett hairdos, leg warmers, riding around with boys in Trans Ams [well, that was me - haven't verified that Mrs. G was so easily moved], and of course mood rings and Puka shell necklaces. And then... there was the Madonnaesque lace wardrobe of the 80's - maybe we shouldn't go there. And so, Mrs. G.... I salute your generosity in spreading the linky love! And here is my list [by no means complete, but just winging it off the top of my head, which contains a rather smaller brain this morning - despite the lack of hangover]:

Favorite Things


Chocolate covered caramels with pecans - otherwise known as Clouds - from Trader Joe's. Pure decadence....

My husband's hands. Well, yes, THAT. But, I was referring to their beauty. His hands are well lived, rough and toughened. Someday I will photograph them. In black and white.

The curve of BOY's eyelashes on his cheek as he sleeps.

Being in a movie theater after the lights have gone down and the crowd quiets...knowing that hopefully I will be swept away by a story and transported to a different place - all while sitting still.

The seat warmer in my van. Honey, nothing beats warming up your cold ass on a chilly morning.


Being a mother. It is what I wanted for so long and is more than I ever could have imagined. The best thing I've ever done.

The way my GIRL says, Femember for remember, Doe for No, amimals for animals, and used to say elemens for elephants. I should correct her. I really should. But, this preciousness is hard to let go of. For me.

The few little freckles left on my husband nose. A smattering. A lasting touch of the sun on a child's face long ago.

The smell of a good cup of coffee.

Jack Daniels and Coke. Jack Daniels and ginger ale. Jack Daniels and ... O.K., just Jack Daniels.

A really good red wine with a bunch of stinky cheeses, preferably from France -served with my brother-n-law the baker's fresh bread. Brother-n-law also from France. Sister made good choice, Kimosabe.

Oh, hell anything chocolate. I'm really not that picky.

Lying in bed listening to waves crashing on the beach.

Swearing like a sailor. LOVE curse words of any kind. British curse words from bloody to arse and of course bollocks. As a child growing up in Beirut, Lebanon, I learned quite a few Arabic turn of phrase...but, alas they are too long to put here. The etymology I find fascinating. Shouldn't there be a college course. Is there one somewhere?

Picnics.

Any book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Anything. She is a brilliant, funny and mesmerizing storyteller.

Laughing until I cry. My whole body is suddenly loose and relaxed.

Any book. Period. By Erica Jong. If I could be a writer like Erica Jong.... She is sexy, daring and flat out intelligent. Fear of Flying was just the beginning. And then there is her poetry.

Lying in a hammock reading a good book in the quiet of a summer afternoon.

Aromatherapy oils.

Candles.

Massage. Again, O.K., THAT.

Hearing my children giggle.

Sitting outside on a dark night with a warm sweater and looking up at the stars.

Sleep! It is NOT OVERRATED.

Watching my husband, E, performing in a play - the acting juices flowing, his heart and soul right there. It is seeing his passion in all its glory.

Making people laugh in person. It is not often, but when it happens it is fun.

Having time with just the girlfriends - hanging out with a great glass of wine, good food and lots of chatter.

Having TIME.

O.K., dressing up like Ginger for Halloween. I did it once 6 years ago and again this year. It is flat out fun to be a red head. And those fake eye lashes make you feel really girly.

Hiking. Anywhere.

Lying on the beach and feeling the sun on my skin.

Body surfing in the ocean and riding the wave all the way in to where my belly hits the sand.

Watching my husband E play with our children. Intricate games in the living room like camping with flashlights or wrestling in the front yard.

There are many more, but I have to end with this one...

Meeting so many incredible women bloggers. Who are terrific writers. Funny and warm and have been so welcoming to a newcomer.

Thanks, Mrs. G, this was fun.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things...


submit to reddit

19 comments:

  1. I'd do about anything to wake up hearing the waves crash...mmm...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like absolutely everything on your list...except your husband who is yours. Oh, TJ's Clouds could move me to poetry. And my little girl used to say I yuv you or I yike you. I like stinky cheeses too. Thanks for playing along. And I still haven't quit thinking about that dang fireman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted an Easy Bake oven ;-) got the puka shell necklace, I'm sure it's around somewhere ...

    Love what you said about the movie theater...so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being in the theater when the lights have gone done, the anticipation of being swept away, the aroma of popcorn- perfect!

    And the seat warmer in the van? I have one too, and just today was appreciating how perfect it is when I have cramps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love British curse words and seat warmers...I was just praising the Almighty for the creation of seat warmers - or the inventor thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Trader Joes. When my husband brought up transferring with his job, TJs became a requirement. How silly is that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at "bollocks". I love your entire list! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your list, too. You sound like great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Jack still says a few of those adorable words: "aminals," "mimutes"... But they are dying out, despite my efforts NOT to correct them.

    So sad...

    I love your list. What's not to love about so many of those favorite things?

    In general I think people's hands are beautiful and say so much about them. I like to photograph hands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too, am from that generation (*sigh*) - I loved all these wonderful things, but having children is my favorite. It is also ... the best thing I ever did.

    Thanks for coming over and leaving the nice Anniversary wish - take care and have a great weekend. Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear JCK --
    Wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the 2008 Bloggers' Choice Awards. Really enjoy your site!
    http://www.bloggerschoiceawards.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my goodness Jennifer!! Thank you so much. What an honor. I've tried to follow your link, but it says your profile is unavailable. Please go to my profile, click on email and drop me a line. I'd love to email you back a personal thank you.

    I am SO touched! And I have to say that Hottest Mommy Blogger has a nice VAMPY sound to it! Hot! I've added the nomination badges to my site. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bub has just that smattering - seven freckles on his nose. How I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just reread your list and spotted Erica Jong - I adore her. I wrote her a ridiculous letter in my early 20s, and she sent me a kind card back.

    She rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this list! Freya and Esme just learned the Sound of Music tune. Often before bed we sing it together and it is a nice (albeit corny) reminder for me to focus on the gratitude I have for the abundance of favorite things in my life. It sounds like you've already got it the gratitude down, girl! We're going to ASC today...I'll look for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Once again, you amaze me. But you had me at seat warmers in your van. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great list!

    I could read Diana Gabaldon's grocery list and be transfixed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, bollocks! We're obviously twins, separated at birth... I could have written this list (with a little less alcohol and a little more green tea on it - oh, and different husbands) *cheeky grin* Love your list - wise, warm and witty, like your blog.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.