Saturday, November 29, 2008

those small moments stay with you

Everyone has just sat down at the large dinner table. We are at E's brother's home. There are the 4 of us, Uncle M, Aunt P and their two teenage girls, Aunt P's sister and her boyfriend and Aunt P's mom. 11 of us. 3 of whom BOY has not met before.

My Sister-n-law, Aunt P, says: Let's follow a Thanksgiving tradition and go around the table and each say what we are thankful for.

Uncle M: BOY, why don't we start with you.

BOY: I am thankful for Mommy & Daddy and for all of you.

We all sigh...

We manage to get to a few more people and then...

BOY: I have something else! I am thankful for your hearts. And they help pump the blood in the body.

BOY, I am thankful for you. And how you share your view of the world.

*********************************

GIRL keeping me company in the kitchen while I make cornbread stuffing. I don't know if there is anyone else I'd rather have keeping me company. And lucky for me, she feels the same.

GIRL, I am thankful for you. And how your directness and curiosity challenge me to be a better mommy every day.


submit to reddit

10 comments:

Nora Bee said...

Lovely. I'm thankful for your heart too!

flutter said...

your heart is so something to be thankful for

Mary Alice said...

What a nice bunch of thankfulness. Thankful hearts and thankful for hearts...they both add up to love.

MizMell said...

I FORCE the same ritual at Thanksgiving. I think its a blessing to feel gratitude, don't you?

Rima said...

I LOVE boy! AND girl! And you too, JCK!

Angeline said...

With kids like them, I'll be so thankful too.....

Manic Mommy said...

Sounds to me like BOY's heart is just a little big larger than your average 5 year old.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Thankfullness is good--and it must be taught. They're off to a great start.

Jen said...

What a sweet heart BOY has. Something we don't often think to be thankful for, as important as it is. Kids are so smart.

phd in yogurtry said...

sweet hearts, all : )

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.