Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bossy's visit to L.A.



I was the first one to arrive. I picked up my cell phone and dialed ... Hey, it's L.A.

Tootsie!

JCK!

Are you here?

No, still on the freeway. I should be there in a few minutes.

It seems they're prepared for us. There's a big sign saying "Margarita Madness" and I had to wait in line for 10 minutes for the valet.


I think they said whoever was first to go ahead and get a table.

O.K., I'll see you when you get here. I'm so excited!

It was a picture perfect Southern California evening for Bossy's visit to L.A. The sun, low in the sky, shed amber light over the outdoor patio, lending a magical quality to the approaching evening. Perfect setting for JACK O'CLOCK! The male waiter, looking to be about 14, took my order. I was a little afraid he was going to get busted by the police before he made it back from the bar with my Jack & Coke, but luck was with me.

I was nervous. One of the things that I have found freeing about blogging is the anonymity. Somehow, on a blog you have this incredible opportunity and freedom to be wide open and raw, if you want to be. And the thought of going out and meeting people who have read your innermost thoughts can be a bit daunting. But, the lure of meeting other people who have the passion for blogging was too ...irresistible.

It had been difficult to decide what to wear. I finally decided on comfort with a little razzle dazzle thrown in. Jeans, favorite blousy top, and what I like to call my Rod Stewart boots - red snakeskin, just above the ankle, zipped up the back. [A "before kids" purchase for me by E... *sigh*] Frankly, if I get the opportunity to go out, I like to dress up. I live in SAHM couture de Tarjay a bit too much as it is.

I had been a little slow jumping on Bossy's Excellent Road Trip, only recently discovering her, but was intrigued by her journey. Most of all, I loved that she was a facilitator for bringing bloggers together. I've always loved the idea of community within the large world that we live in, and Bossy seemed all about community.

Best of all, I was going to meet Tootsie Farklepants! Thank GOD, our meeting was in the evening and my skin had had all day to plump out. Would she notice that I was a lazy ass and hadn't been using her recommended night cream?

And then one by one they started to arrive:
The admitted lurker G from Topanga -who should have a blog ...

Tootsie Farklepants... She is beautiful, of course. We know who really runs Mr. Farklepants' Senseo. It goes without saying that she made me laugh. But, best of all... she is incredibly warm and endearingly a bit shy.

And then a kick ass group of women bloggers...
http://grrl.wordpress.com/
http://notjustbarbra.blogspot.com/
http://www.leahpeah.com/
http://pumpkindelight.blogspot.com/
http://redstapler23.blogspot.com/
http://vintagethirty.blogspot.com/
http://queenofspainblog.com/
http://whereisgoodservice.blogspot.com/
www.glozell.com/
http://shayera.blogspot.com/
http://www.undomesticdiva.com/

With a male hottie, [who hosted Bossy], thrown in...
http://jason-thejasonshow.blogspot.com/

And the awesome lady who brought us all together...
http://www.iambossy.com/

This is a picture of Tootsie and MOI. We're happy girls.


All of us spent the evening talking about many things. We talked about blogging - why we started blogging, what our blogs were about, the passion we have for it, and how the commitment of it can also feel like a job. We shared stories about our lives, our careers, our families. Most of all, we just hung out together. And that was good.

Bossy is incredibly down to earth and real. And I liked her for that. She loves taking pictures, when she remembers to take the lens cap off.... And she's all about doing away with walls, and getting to know people. She almost single-handedly tossed a few round tables over her shoulder so that we all could move closer together and really talk. That was cool. It was a great night out. And that's not just because I don't get out much. It really was fun. Even if I was the oldest. DAMMIT!

Note: The huge Margarita Madness party that was going on had nothing to do with our gathering, but we like to think they were welcoming us, too.


submit to reddit

21 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so jealous! Bossy has already bypassed my little corner of Dixie.

    But I might -- just might -- be coming out to Anaheim in August. Jack O'Clock, anyone???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the oldest at my gathering too!

    This whole Bossy thing has definitely been a "happening." A bloggers Spring of Love, if you will!

    And really, JCK and Tootsie, L.A., San Diego . . . not that far apart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a blast meeting you too. I've bookmarked your blog and plan to make it one of my regular reads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous, jealous! You and Tootsie are gorgeous (but I knew that). I'm dying to see the hot red boots, though.

    It sounds like you all had a great time--you're a great reporter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool, you are adorable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those boots are HOT!!

    jenn~ JCK and I did discuss a San Diego trip or meet somewhere in between!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had fun seeing you again... although I would have liked to talk with you even more.

    Ha! I wear Tarzhay every day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. What an awesome group. It sounds like a blast. I would love to visit LA someday, but hubby's already been there so it's not really on his list anymore. (We do live on a mountain where the nearest neighbor is a mile away.) I have some red boots, but they don't sound that cool (or HOT). :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't tease when it comes to shoes. Where's the picture of the red boots?

    I am now officially adding you to The List of People of Whom I am Jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooohhh! That must have been so much fun. You looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya look fantastic! FANTASTIC! If Bossy doesn't pass out from exhaustion, what she is doing is INCREDIBLE!

    KEEP BELIEVING

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just as I said on Tootsie's blog, you two could be sisters. Glad you had some Bossy fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That many blogging women together in one place?! I don't know how anyone got a word in. I'm guessing you all had some sort of chocolate dessert to go with all that alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, ha! That was fun! Nice meeting you too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Y'all are so pretty. Looks like fun everyone had fun. Bossy was pure genius with this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG I am soooo jealous! It would have been worth the flight from Toronto to California just to hang with you and Tootsie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is everyone in California beautiful??? Sheesh!

    Your evening sounds wonderful. I think I would feel that trepidation, too, if I were to meet up with a group of bloggers (are there any bloggers in Ohio, though? Probably not!) It's part of the reason why I'm not sure about BlogHer. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "jack o'clock" - that's BRILLIANT!

    I just found out that my trip to my mom's will coincide with Bossy's trip to that neck of the woods - luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was so much fun! And jck and tootsie, you were so inspiring!

    I know it's shameless to blogwhore, but you guys inspired me to start, so check it out at my link!

    glennis from topanga

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know how I missed this post last week. Probably because I was in a state of utter gaga.

    This is a perfect recap of the evening. It's so funny to read how everybody else was nervous, especially since everyone seemed to be so confident and calm and full of social grace.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been having so much fun reading everyone's various Bossy accounts! I just wish you had taken a picture of your BOOTS!! They sound fantastic. And the picture of you and Tootsie is just lovely - look at those perfect smiles!

    Good for you all for getting out there and making connections. This whole experience must be incredibly daunting but so worth it. Hurrah to you and to Bossy and to all the bloggers who are making this real.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.