Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Never underestimate the hum of a Mama's gut instinct

It's been interesting. Ever since I put my fantasy "on paper" a few days ago, things have materialized. Funny how life works that way. You put it out to the universe and it comes back to you. I feel more in balance, less cranky or let's just be honest...less PSYCHO. Lack of sleep, being a mother of young children and not enough whiskey or chocolate can do that to a woman. You know, that psycho thing. I've been living in more awareness of my day and so: the bed has been made more times than not, we've been dressed, fed and out the door for school on time, less frenzy more fun. It feels not only good, but true. Life could be this way... more.


After my rant yesterday on the Supernanny and my BOY's nighttime routine, I was rewarded with what I like to call The Hum of a Mama's gut instinct. E tucked BOY in last night around 9pm, a little later than our usual 8pm. E had gone out to a meeting, and BOY had stayed up wanting to see his daddy. E sat with him for about 7 minutes of BOY going: blah, BLAH BLAH BLAH, blah? Blah. Blah bla. Bla bla bla bla. Bla? Blah. Bl------ and he was out. That's our usual routine, with me predominantly doing the tuck in, but sometimes it is daddy who is needed. And then the rest of the evening is ours, which is the benefit of BOY not napping, as he usually falls asleep pretty quickly. So, I went to bed fairly soon after that -more worn out from that ranting post than anything else! And I woke up to...the alarm clock going off at 4:30am! Yes, this is a GOOD thing. Slept for another hour and got up to realize that BOY SLEPT THROUGH THE WHOLE NIGHT. This being the 2nd time since September, when the fear issues started. If you think I fell to my knees and shouted hallelujah AMEN, you would be almost correct. But, remember, I didn't want to awaken THE BOY. Instead I hummed into the kitchen on pure infused bliss, made myself a pot of tea, and had time for myself for an hour. Heavenly. BOY got hugs, rah rahs and the prize - chocolate milk!! for sleeping through the night. E got a good morning and a smile from his wife, who had also slept through the night. All was well.

And I now know 2 things:
  1. Never underestimate The Hum of a Mama's gut instinct!

  2. I believe JCK rocked SUPAH NANNY FUSSY PANTS to the 7th POWAH!


Note: Thank you so much for your supportive comments!

**Photo Credit: The Greenwich Workshop Gallery


submit to reddit

19 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got a full nights sleep, but I gotta tell you, if I have to get up at 5:30am to get an hour to myself I am royally screwed because that will never happen! 4:30 is complete insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fabulous. I am SO happy for you. And from your mouth to God's ears. As I said yesterday, mine don't sleep well as it is. When Scott is out of town, the Queen vows she can't go to sleep until Daddy gets home. The last time that happened was last week - she finally passed out at 11:45. DeBoy didn't succumb until 1:30. Then they woke up AT THE USUAL TIME! wtf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! Believe it or not...BOY AGAIN slept through the night last night. 2 nights in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sleep is awesome, hope you get even more of it. We are also past the nap phase and while I miss the afternoon respit I do enjoy early to bed more than staying up all night. Yesterday my little on fell asleep in the car running errands and then again when we got home, she was awake past 11. Now the whole schedule is in ruins. Hope we can find our way back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4:30? What in the hell is your alarm going off at 4:30 for? Good grief.

    Oh...and Yay for sleeping through the night! Hope it keeps on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. to sleep, perchance to dream....

    .....glad you had a good night - now you'll have to do the same thing every evening...including the husband going out!!! Just kidding - hope tonight works too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really should challenge SuperNanny to an intuition joust. So cool that you lived your dream today...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I was wondering the same thing: Why was the alarm going off at 4:30? Do you like to wake up on Eastern Daylight Time?

    Huge yay for Boy sleeping through the night. May it always be so. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet sleep followed by alarm clock torture.

    That's a tough call.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Weren't you disoriented when the alarm went off? We just (crossing fingers) resolved our son's sleepwalking issue, and it's still surprising to wake up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. if you're a mommy with a half a brain... gut over supernanny anyday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, you rocked it all right. Sweet dreams, mama. Kudos to E.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah....we're still working on that whole four year old boy sleeps through the whole night in his whole bed thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. who rocks the house? jck rocks the house. just don't rock it too loud, mama, because those babies might wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No one knows your kids like you do and your gut is better than "expert" advice almost every time.

    Congratulations on two nights of sleep. Isn't it amazing how much better the world looks when you are semi-rested?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so happy for you. An hour! With a pot of tea! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hoorah for BOY and a bigger, happier Hoorah for you! Hope this is a future trend. Keep us posted. (No sleeping thru the night since Sept .. yikes .. I feel your fatique!)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.