Sunday, June 10, 2007

Me...all about me...and a 103 year old woman I met today



I am sitting in silence ....... It is 8:30pm. Oh, MY GOD...I think I've found Nirvana. E is out at a lecture, kids are asleep...I sit here with my double bagged Irish tea with extra sugar, half and half, and I feel like the world is my oyster. It is luscious. This quiet...so fleeting, so unusual in this house. Silence....mmmmm aaaahhh let me breathe it in.

OK, so I met a woman today who is 103 years old. Not kidding. I was sitting outside in the courtyard after church this morning with my friend. We had 45 minutes in which to feast on a conversation unencumbered by kids (love that childcare!!) or interruptions and we were grabbing it! Attracted by our laughter, the woman walked over to us with an obvious intention to engage us. And she did. I found her quite mesmerizing. She was dressed very well in a sky blue suit and was aided by a walker. We only talked to her for about 10 minutes, but in that time we got a real glimpse into the life this woman has lived. How much she has seen! 103! Amazing. And her thoughts were pretty damn organized. Of course she was talking to two mothers who've had a few years worth of sleep deprivation, so who knows?? (I lost count last night after the 10th time Boy came into our room and tried to climb into our bed and I walked him back to his room...)

The timing on meeting this 103 year old woman is interesting for me as I've been feeling old lately. I look in the mirror and am scared. There it is. Frightened by the creep of age, although it feels less like creeping and more like stalking. It is here. I'm getting older and for really the first time, it is bothering me. I even went out and bought one of those creams that is supposed to help reduce fine wrinkles and maybe attack deep crevices. Yeah right. It is called ROC, and all I can think of is that goofy celeb THE ROCK (wasn't he a wrestler?) and wonder if this ROC is going to smack down my "fine lines?" Who came up with that one? Fine lines. Looking at those lines I'm not feeling very fine, baby! Oh, no. More like Edvard Munch's The Scream. I'll try the cream. I'm sure I'm years too late, but I've been just a little preoccupied with two rascals who thankfully keep me in the moment more than not. That's why this blog is so invigorating for me, because it is something that I can create for myself, the focus comes from within, and I will take it wherever it leads me. I'm not sure yet where that will be, but at the very least I hope it is and will always be a work in progress.


submit to reddit

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.