Monday, December 31, 2007

Greens, blackeyed peas and cornbread, a Southern tradition

Well, the countdown has begun and it is already New Year's Day out there somewhere across the globe. I just wanted to take a moment and thank all of you for coming by my blog. I love hearing your comments, and if you're just breezing through that's O.K., too. I wish you much happiness, health and peace over the next year.

In following our Southern heritage, and E's family tradition, tomorrow we are having a bunch of friends over to have greens, cornbread and blackeyed peas. The custom of serving blackeyed peas, greens and cornbread on New Year's Day comes from the belief that this will bring good luck and financial success for the coming year. The blackeyed peas are “coins”, the collard greens represent “greenbacks” and the cornbread is gold. E was cooking the greens this afternoon - 2 pots simmering on the stove with a pan full of sizzling bacon to add in for seasoning . The blackeyed peas are soaking overnight. And tomorrow, I'll whip up some cornbread and warm up a ham. It's been so wonderful not traveling during the holidays this year and I'm enjoying all of the celebrating with our little family and our large family of friends. We are blessed.

One of the great things about living where we do is that you can drive up to the mountains, play in the snow then come back down and be running around in a T-shirt on the same day. Today we did just that. We were in our PJs until 10, showered, packed up a lunch and headed up the hill. An hour later we parked where the road was closed and walked 1/4 mile up to where the snow came across the road. BOY and GIRL had their first sledding experience and it was rapturous to see the thrill and excitement on their faces as they flew down the small slope. BOY sat behind GIRL, put his arms around her and they were off with a generous push or two or three from E. There wasn't a lot of snow, but enough for them to get the experience and to feel snow on their fingers. Life is pretty good these days, with a BOY & a GIRL 10 months apart. Thanks for taking the ride with me...

Happy New Year to all!


submit to reddit

15 comments:

  1. Ok, where do you live? I'm moving.
    Happy 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who made black eyed peas -- I was just thinking about that tradition!

    Have a WONDERFUL New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! Enjoy those greens. They sound fierce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. When we lived in Texas a friend had us in on our first New Years away from friends and family and introduced two Canadians to Blackeyed peas, collard greens and cornbread. It was wonderful. What I didn't know is that it's collard greens, not "collar and greens" and told someone about our wonderful feast the next day at work. Didn't live that one down for two years.
    Oh well. Can still taste them though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you my friend - I wish I had been there to see the smiles on their faces and I might even have jumped on a sled and slid down that hill with them! See you soon. Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. There is something for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds divine. What time should I be there?

    Happiest of New Year wishes my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that same weather arrangement where I live and it is, in fact, awesome! Happy New Year to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year! I forgot the cornbread. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never knew the significance behind that southern tradition. It sounds delicious, especially with a little ham.

    I hope 2008 is a good one for you! And thanks to you, too, for visiting my little blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year, y'all! So sorry we missed out on the celebration and delicious food. My mouth is watering following your description of the greens...with bacon! My girls return to preschool next week and I'd still love to meet at Amy's! All the best to you in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahhh I miss the southern New Year food. I also miss being able to play in the snow and then come home to the warm. So not my experience now! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just never could come around to liking the taste of blackeye peas. My parents eat them EVERY new year as a tradition.

    I'm visiting all those who have posted before and I'm inviting them over to my blog for a little giveaway that I am having. No gimicks, just a way to celebrate one year of blogging.


    http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer taking comments.

Copyright © 2007-2014 JCK.



The content on these pages is the sole property of the author and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent.

All Rights Reserved.